Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 7 oz fresh scallops
- 3 oz smoked salmon or trout
- 1/2 oz chopped shallots
- 1/2 oz chopped dill
- 1 tbsp good quality olive oil
- juice of 1 lime
- a pinch of salt and pepper
- To garnish: selection of young lettuce, dill, dried Japanese algae
The secret of a good tartare, a raw food product chopped into small pieces and seasoned to enhance its natural flavour without masking it, is the freshness of the main ingredient. Fish, meat or in this case, scallop will be eaten raw so it most be kept very cold until consumption.
1. Cut the smoked salmon or trout into 1" X 3" strips and set aside.
2. Chop the cold, fresh scallops into small pieces then mix with shallots, lime juice, olive oil, dill and salt and pepper.
3. Spoon the scallop mixture onto the sliced salmon or trout and roll carefully.
4. Arrange the rolled scallop tartare on a chilled plate and garnish with an assortment of baby lettuce, dill and dried Japanese algae. Return to the refrigerator until serving time.