In a Nutshell:
This coffee shop opened by Jean-François Leduc, a coffee aficionado who remembers falling in love with the brewed nectar as a kid, is located in a booming neighborhood of Montreal and close to the Atwater Market
, one of the city’s best public markets. The diverse crowd that walks Saint-Henri’s streets is partly what makes the Café so interesting, along with the owner’s true devotion to the coffee bean. Leduc insists on using sustainably harvested, organic, single-origin coffee beans, which he roasts himself several times a week in the back of the coffee shop. The place indeed exudes “coffee geekyness,” with chemical formulas and charts decorating the walls and unique machines lining the serving counter, such as the spectacular cold drip coffee maker that takes six hours to brew one pot of a surprisingly complex-tasting drink. This doesn’t mean that Café Saint-Henri is a temple for coffee snobs; in fact, novices shouldn’t be afraid to ask questions, because the staff truly seems to relish providing advice tailored to its customers’ tastes. The place even offers classes about coffee tasting and espresso making.
(with a second location in the Quartier Latin)
Best Known For:
Super fresh coffee beans roasted in-house.
The food offering is very limited; mostly pastries.
Good to Know:
- Internet: Free Wi-Fi for customers.
- Seating: Tables and chairs, repurposed church benches. A narrow counter borders the storefront windows allowing for good people watching and sunlit computer sessions.
- Online Orders: The coffee shop’s website allows customers to order coffee beans and coffee-making equipment.
- Monday to Friday: 7:30am to 8pm
- Saturday and Sunday: 8:30am to 8pm
3632, Notre-Dame Ouest
Montréal, QC H4C 1P6
Closest metro stations: Lionel-Groulx and Place-Saint-Henri (both 7 min. walk away)
Map / Website / Facebook / Twitter
Café Saint-Henri Quartier Latin
301, rue Emery
Montréal, QC H2X 1J1
Closest metro station: Berri-UQAM (3 min. walk)
Map / Facebook
- Monday to Friday: 7:30am to 10:30pm
- Saturday: 10am to 10:30pm
- Sunday: 10am to 8pm