Montréal-Pierre Elliot Trudeau International Airport (Montréal-Trudeau for short, formerly Montréal-Dorval International Airport) is Canada's main airport east of the Great Lakes and its geographical location makes it a major hub for traffic between Canada and Europe. The airport was named after a former Canadian Prime Minister who served from 1968 to 1984 with only a brief interruption.
Each year, 12 million passengers transit through Montréal-Trudeau. Some 32 air carriers operate in Montreal (see list) with direct flights to and from about 130 regular and seasonal destinations in Canada, the United States and internationally.
The Montréal-Trudeau airport is located in Dorval, about 13 miles (21 km) from downtown Montreal. Getting to the airport is a 30-minute taxi ride, but this time estimate can greatly increase in case of traffic or road works (both of which are very common in Montreal).
The main access roads to Montréal-Trudeau are Highways 20 and 520.
Aéroport international Pierre-Elliott-Trudeau de Montréal
975, boul Roméo-Vachon Nord, Dorval (QC) H4Y 1H1
- Call Center: 514 394-7377 or 1 800 465-1213 (toll-free from anywhere in Canada, Vermont and Albany, NY )
- Website: admtl.com
- Customer Service Email: email@example.com
- Airport Radio: 88.1 FM
Montréal-Trudeau has only one terminal, divided in four areas: public, domestic, international and transborder (U.S.A.). Passengers check in for departure on the first floor, whereas baggage claim and arrivals are on the ground floor.
Internet / Wi-Fi Services
Free Wi-Fi is offered everywhere in the terminal and Internet stations are located in several areas of the airport.
Money / ATM Machines
Currency exchange counters and ATMs are located throughout Montréal-Trudeau. All debit cards are accepted. Bank of Montreal ATMs accept MasterCard credit cards, whereas Royal Bank ATMs accept Visa credit cards. An ATM located in the international area distributes euros and another located in the transborder (U.S.) zone distributes U.S. currency.
There are six parking facilities available at Montréal-Trudeau:
- ValetParc: 24/7 valet service. This option is the closest to the terminal and it costs $30 CAD/day. No reservations required.
- ExpressPark: Ground level parking close to the terminal. This parking lot is the most expensive, so it's best for meeting or dropping off passengers. $45 CAD/day or $4 for 20 minutes.
- ProxiParc: Three-story parking lot within walkable distance to the terminal and easy access to car rental companies. $20 CAD/day or $6 CAD for 30 minutes.
- InterParc: Located right next to ProxiParc, but less expensive. Free 24/7 shuttle service. $77 CAD/week or $20 CAD/day.
- EconoParc: The cheapest parking option. $77 CAD/week or $15 CAD/day.
- HotelParc: Heated indoor parking lot located below the U.S. check-in area, with a walkway to the terminal. $24 CAD/day or $6 CAD for 30 minutes.
Parking promotions are running regularly for the cheapest parking lots, members of traveling clubs or visitors staying at airport hotels. Visit this page to view current offers.
Airport users with reduced mobility who require long-term parking can use the ProxiParc facility located near the terminal for the EconoParc parking rate. A valid "Disabled Parking Permit" issued by the SAAQ is required to benefit from the reduced rate.
Note that the EconoPark shuttle service does not currently offer adequate transportation for people using wheelchairs.
Waiting Parking Lot
Montréal-Trudeau offers one hour of free parking in the EconoPark and InterParc lots to people picking up passengers at the airport. Simply take a ticket at the entrance gate and reinsert it when you leave. The ticket is good for 60 minutes only and you must remain in your vehicle for the duration.
Transfers and Shuttles
Montreal's métro system does not cover the airport, but there are several options to reach the city.
- Public Transit: Express Bus
STM, Montreal's transit system, operates an express bus (number 747) between the airport and downtown. The line uses dedicated low-floor buses and operates 24/7 between Montréal-Trudeau and the city's central bus station, located above the Berri-UQAM métro station. Wi-Fi service is available on most 747 buses. The trip takes between 45 to 60 minutes, depending on traffic conditions. The service is free for holders of monthly passes and those with 1-day or 3-day tourist cards. Individual tickets are also sold for $8 CAD, and these are valid for unlimited travel across the entire STM network (including the métro). Visit the official 747 bus line service site for details, including points of purchase.
- Public Transit: Regular Service
Regular bus route 204 serves Montréal-Trudeau from the Dorval bus and train terminus, whereas regular bus route 209 connects the Roxboro-Pierrefonds commuter train station to Montréal-Trudeau airport. One-way fare is $3 CAD.
- Hotel Shuttle Services
Complimentary shuttle service is offered by several nearby hotels. See Airport Hotels list below.
Taxis are readily available at Montréal-Trudeau near the central exit. No reservations required. Visa, MasterCard and American Express credit cards are accepted by all taxis, and drivers usually accept both Canadian and U.S. funds (inquire first). There is a fixed taxi rate of $40 CAD between Montréal-Trudeau and downtown. For all other destinations, the minimum fare is $17 CAD and rides are metered. Taxi info: 514 394-7377.
Limousines are also available on site. Fixed rates from Montréal-Trudeau to downtown vary between $55 and $60 CAD. For all other destinations, the minimum fare is $50 CAD and rides are metered. Limousine info: 514 394-7377.
- Mont Tremblant
Shuttle service provided by Skyport during the winter months (December to April). For more info, see Skyport's website or call 1 800 471-1155.
- Montréal-Trudeau to Trois-Rivières, Ste-Foy and Quebec City
Offered by Orléans-Express. Several departures daily. Tickets at the Orléans-Express stand located at the passenger drop-off area on the international arrivals level. Free Wi-Fi on board.
For more info: orleansexpress.com / 1 888 999-3977.
- Montréal-Trudeau to Ottawa and Gatineau
Offered by Greyhound. Several departures daily. Tickets aboard the bus and at the passenger drop-off area on the international arrivals level.
For more info: greyhound.ca / 1 800 661-8747.
- Aloft Montreal Airport
- Comfort Inn: Dorval or Pointe-Claire
- Crowne Plaza Montreal Airport
- Days Inn
- Hampton Inn & Suites Montréal (Dorval)
- Hilton Garden Inn Montreal Airport
- Holiday Inn: Express & Suites Montreal Airport, Montreal Airport, Pointe-Claire Montreal Airport
- Best Western Plus Aéroport de Montréal
- Marriott Courtyard Montreal Airport
- Novotel Montreal Airport
- Quality Hotel Dorval
- Quality Suites Montréal Aéroport
- Rodeway Inn Airport
- Sheraton Montreal Airport Hotel
Car rental service counters are located in the ExpressParc (ground floor). Follow the "Car Rental" indications. Companies operating from Montréal-Trudeau include Alamo, AVIS, Enterprise, Hertz, National and Thrifty.
The hotel closest to Montréal-Trudeau is actually right on the premises: the Marriott Montreal Airport hotel is conveniently located inside the airport, next to the U.S. departures area.
Several more accommodation options are located nearby Montréal-Trudeau. The following hotels all offer a complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport. See each hotel's website for details and reservations.